And you say...

* the loveLY. the ugLY.....

Thursday, April 13, 2006
Paediatrics Week 1
Been in the paediatric ward for a week now...it's a public holiday for us tomorrow because it's Good Friday.

It's rather depressing...seeing all those children with sicknesses...some I've never even heard of. Very sad. There's this particular child...she's two months old. Such a sweet baby...doesn't cry unecessarily. Only when she's wet or hungry. I got the chance to carry her today...and was pretty delighted when she cooed and smiled and made some "baby talk" with me! =) She fell alseep in my arms, and when I put her down in her cot, she didn't even wake up. But sigh...she has this liver disease. I don't know why but the more I looked at her, the more I felt like crying. I guess when you carry or touch a child (or even, other people), there's some connection made...sigh. I'm still trying to not get emotionally attached to my patients. It's not easy.

There's this other child. She has epilepsy (fits) almost every single day (yeah, as often as you change your undies)...for no ultimate reason. And I can understand that it is very tiring for her mother and maid. They take turns taking care of her in the hospital. She can never be left alone. Not even a single second. I had the chance to read to and play with her, and even to understand her sign language (because she can understand words but not talk). It is tiring...because she sometimes makes me read the same book to her again and again. Not that I mind, though...

Well, these are just two of the many cases in the ward...I've yet to befriend more chidren next week. I've not been able to fulfill much of my objectives, though. Feel so dungu, sometimes. Haha. Sigh.

Anyways, I'm very tired...good night, world.

Post a Comment