And you say...

* the loveLY. the ugLY.....

Monday, July 23, 2007
Friends?
I think many people do not fully understand the meaning of BEING a real friend.

Being true friends doesn't only include the good times and the best of times together...it also includes the horrible, terrifying, ugly, irritating moments. Yea, it sounds so cliche...but let's dig deeper.

The horrible, terrifying, ugly, irritating moments include times when the other person loses trust in you, when the other person is going through something that he/she does not want to tell you and confuses the daylights out of you, when the other person misunderstands you or your intentions (maybe both as well), when the other person deliberately (or maybe not) hurts you with words, with actions, whatever...but instead of being resentful, you still extend your friendship. You be kind. You do not say things you'd regret later. You give them the benefit of the doubt. And although it seems like your efforts are in vain, you continue to care. In short, you do not give up.

This is how I understand friendship to be. After all, God has extended His grace; why shouldn't we?

To a particular friend: You once told me that I sometimes try too hard at being a friend...and although I still think that a person can never try too hard at being a friend, I'll give you your space. Like I said before, it's probably the only way I know how to be a friend...if you're reading this, I just wanted you to know that I'll be around if you need anything.

Post a Comment